Since the 1950's Cavell Leitch has been the leading property law team in Christchurch. Our experts have helped transfer, subdivide and develop land and buildings nationwide.
Over the last 20 years my companies have subdivided land into thousands of sections with the assistance and guidance of Cavell Leitch. In my view there is no other Christchurch firm that boasts the depth of property law skill and knowledge as they do and delivers it with such an outstandingly high level of service.”
Some of our recent projects have included:
Numerous sales and purchases of large buildings or complexes throughout New Zealand
Completion of major post-earthquake commercial leasing developments
Multi-storey apartment developments in Christchurch and other cities
Subdivision of land in environmentally sensitive areas such as around lakes
New office building resource consent, construction contracts and tenanting negotiations
Multi unit title developments of over 100 units in multiple stages in Wanaka and Queenstown
Crown pastoral leasing and tenure review
Property Team Manager
Residential Property Coordinator
- Thinking of buying rural property in New Zealand?
- New legislation requires owners to strengthen their quake-prone buildings
- Review of the Unit Titles Act 2010
- Post November 2016 Earthquake Lending Requirements
- One Property – Multiple Purchasers …What to do?
- The Christchurch Replacement District Plan
- Unit titles – Pre Contract Disclosure statements
- Lease reinstatement requirements – 7 tips to avoid a nasty surprise when your lease ends
- Don’t let open homes trip you up – The Health & Safety at Work Act
- Land Covenants – be wary
- Borrowing against commercial property - be prepared for tougher banking practices
- Meetings of the Body Corporate
- Leasing and Unit Titles – things to be aware of
- Commercial property lease inducements and surrender payments – Beware of the tax issues!
- New Zealand wide loan to value ratio (LVR) restrictions – what you need to know as an investor
- Do you need a Meth test for your property?
- How to peaceably re-enter a premises after cancelling a commercial lease - a case study
- Public offers for property investment - what you need to know about the FMCA
- Developers warned to get body corporate service contracts right!
- New Real Estate Sale & Purchase Agreements - important changes to be aware of
- Commercial Leases - Top 10 tips for landlords entering into a new lease agreement
- The Healthy Homes Guarantee Bill
- Buying a rural lifestyle block - what do you need to know?
- When building reports are provided by the vendor: What should a purchaser be aware of?
- Protecting the contractor-client relationship: Building Contracts - How good is yours?
- Commercial leases – Top 10 tips for tenants entering into a new lease agreement
- I want faster internet installed but my neighbour won't provide consent to access the property
- Update on the Building (Earthquake-prone Buildings) Amendment Bill
- Earthquake-prone buildings ─ where to from here for Queenstown’s stock?
- Cancelling a commercial lease when the rent isn’t paid
- Rural fires - who pays?
- Residential building contractors – are you compliant with consumer protection laws?
- Farm succession planning
- Responsibility for paying excess amounts on EQC repairs by Peter Highton, EQC
- Cross-leases: Navigating your way through your earthquake insurance claim
- EQC excess payments
- Fines looming for contractors
- Young Kiwi's life cut short
- Understanding KiwiSaver and the First Home Deposit Subsidy
- Commercial leasing
- Storm damage to trees - what does it mean for the Emissions Trading Scheme?
- Recent changes to the Emissions Trading Scheme
- Nutrient budgets – what do they mean for you?
- QLDC’s plan to expand the Queenstown town centre zone
- Know your boundaries!
- Don’t get burned by your residential building contract
- A quick guide for residential landlords
- Queenstown keeps getting bigger and bigger…
- Builders’ Beware – new laws coming into force on 1 January 2015
- Residential developments encouraged in Christchurch city
- The perils of not providing Body Corporate Disclosure Statements on time
- Timing of special conditions when purchasing a property
- What is the law when a property is damaged immediately before settlement?
- Reinstatement requirements - the effect of a lease renewal
- Make sure it's a first house and not a P house
- Changes to the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act
- Further changes to unit titles law
- Dealing with Canterbury property - beware the dangers
- Canterbury Land and Water Regional Plan decision
- Overseas purchasers can buy lifestyle properties
- Cross Lease Ownership
- Conditional Agreements – Home Buyers’ $300,000 Mistake
- Real Estate Agents and the Act
- Leases and what we have learned since the Earthquakes
- Changes to home insurance policies
- Off the Richter
- Cancelling a conditional contract
- Construction Contracts Amendment Bill